• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Taime Down

Recruit
1 Badges
Mar 14, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines
I just purchased Cities Skyline from my Steam account. The game goes to a black screen on start up with the game cursor
I have to hit ctrl+del to get to get to task manager and end process
this is my first Steam purchase and may very well be my LAST

My Rig
Intel i5 - 4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
16 Gb Ram
current resolution: 1920x1080 , 60 Hz.
I have a GFX 750 Ti 2 gig vid card

I tried to contact Steam... but they make it impossible.
They say my username on my account dont exist even tho im trying
to contact the support team thru my logged in page

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can try this:
I had this black screen and cursor error since launch day. I finally got it working today and here's the procedure I followed to do it. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone but I hope it will. I take no responsibility for ill consequences of actions taken by these directions.

Step 1 - Uninstall all Windows Visual C++ programs
- I uninstalled all of the Visual C++ redists in the Uninstall Programs list. That means every redist for every year listed.

Step 2 - Manually Delete mscvp100.DLL and mscvcr100.DLL
- I was unsure at the time if the second one needed to go but I did remove it with eventual positive results.

Step 3 - Restart computer.

Step 4 - Delete and reinstall Cities Skylines

Step 5 - Manually install the 2010 redistributable from the _CommonRedist/vcredist folder in the Cities Skylines common steam directory.

Step 6 - Restart computer again.

Step 7 - Start game and keep fingers crossed.

This is what worked for me. Hopefully it works for good. Hopefully it works for others.

yes to all the above ... but i dont have an install folder. at least not an obvious one like for instance c/games/city skyline or c/program files x86/cities skyline. which seems very strange to me
when i click the game icon on my desktop.. i dont have a compatibility mode selection ... nor do i have "open file location".

lol and by uninstalling all those other VC Redist's I risk permanently destroying all the other games I play to play this one "indie" game? No thanks. I shouldn't have to risk all of my other installations because paradox's launch was an absolute failure

That is not true

ok.. so , suppose ur right and even tho i paid good money for this game , i still gotta be a geek to make it work ?
secondly... why cant i right click game launcher shortcut , thats on my desktop and run compatibility mode or "open file location" i cant find the install folder , anywhere on my comp !
all this is very suspicious to me..... its no wonder this is my very first online game purchase. Its VERY questionable if i will ever do it agian

i paid 30 bucks for this.... now i gotta redesign my computer to make it work?????
funny but i dont remember ever having to do any of this with the hundreds of other "out of the box " games

Step 1 - Uninstall all Windows Visual C++ programs
- I uninstalled all of the Visual C++ redists in the Uninstall Programs list. That means every redist for every year listed.
As Gaute65 instructed........
i have no "Visual C++ redists " on my installed programs list
i have "repaired Visual C++ redists 4 times... no joy
at this point of my venture...... i feel i have spent waaayyy too much time and effort to get my Satisfaction of a product i bought online
************** NOW WHAT ? *************

Last edited:
lol and by uninstalling all those other VC Redist's I risk permanently destroying all the other games I play to play this one "indie" game? No thanks. I shouldn't have to risk all of my other installations because paradox's launch was an absolute failure
Yep, forgot that it screws up all other games, reinstalling a few games now . . . . .

ok.. so , suppose ur right and even tho i paid good money for this game , i still gotta be a geek to make it work ?
secondly... why cant i right click game launcher shortcut , thats on my desktop and run compatibility mode or "open file location" i cant find the install folder , anywhere on my comp !
all this is very suspicious to me..... its no wonder this is my very first online game purchase. Its VERY questionable if i will ever do it agian
Well if you used Steam to install it's just the way that steam works. It launches through the app, you can go to steam, right click on the game, properties, local files, browse local files. From there you can edit the files and/or set compatibility for the executable.

i paid 30 bucks for this.... now i gotta redesign my computer to make it work?????
funny but i dont remember ever having to do any of this with the hundreds of other "out of the box " games

No, you don't have to do that, we are working on this issue. Those instructions are not endorsed by us, and even if they have helped some people, they may also break something (at the very least, after removing all other C++ redistributables there will probably be a load of other programs that cannot start before reinstalling what was removed).

I am sorry that you cannot play the game currently, but I also hope you all understand that most every PC game will have some proportion of players who run into issues like this, and it will take a small company more than three working days to find out what is happening in each case, develop solutions and test them.

we are working on this issue

Oooh! Okay! So you're "Working on the issue"! That makes me feel so much better about having spent $30 on a game that won't work for longer than 5 minutes. Thank you for telling me that you're working on the issue that totally excuses me spending $30 on a game that will not run with no way to get my money back.

and it will take a small company more than three working days to find out what is happening in each case, develop solutions and test them.

Welcome to 2015 everyone. Where developers use the term "Indie" as an excuse to dodge any & all responsibility for technical QA, and if you speak out against it, then you're an asshole for expecting to be able to play something you spent money on. But hey... He's sorry, and he doesn't work at EA, so it makes it okay that we have been by definition scammed.

My game isn't working as well, its frustrating as fuck. But by no means can you expect an instant fix. First of all compatibility is huge, saying they're trying to dodge responsibility makes it sound like you're saying they wanted the game not to work for us. You cannot expect to work on every PC on blind faith, that being said with how many people are experiencing this there should be a certain demo to make sure it works on your computer.

I have the same problem. After start it goes to a black screen. No sound only game cursor.
My Rig:
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz
8GB Ram
Win7 64 Bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Resolution 1440x900 60 Hz

Hopefully it helps

Pretty sure all games you get from steam go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (at least they do on my computer). You start them from steam (or if you had steam make a shortcut, from the desktop).

Trust me, i'm no computer wiz, i know enough about computers where I can really screw something up (and have done so in the past). I'm having the black screen issue and have been trying to do all the steps i've seen. even though some of the dll's i've been told to delete were mispelled.

ie Step 2 - Manually Delete mscvp100.DLL and mscvcr100.DLL is actually msvcp100.dll, and mscvcr100.dll is actually msvcr100.dll. (and apparently supposed to delete out of both system32 and syswow64)

Been going through this since day of release and am very frustrated. If I can't get it to work this time, I give up and will wait for a patch.
Will I be happy I bought the game pre release and still can't play it? No, but I'll cope. not being able to play a game isn't the end of the world.
I'll just keep playing other games i've been playing for a long time.